Bankruptcy Information Worksheet
Chapter 7 & Chapter 13
The following bankruptcy worksheet is a step-by-step explanation of the documentation needed and the process followed for the filing of a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy & Chapter 13 Bankruptcy with Lombardo Law Office.
STEP 1: Provide Lombardo Law Office with the Required Documentation
The Bankruptcy Code requires disclosure of the total gross income from the 6 months preceding the case filing. Your case CANNOT file without this documentation.
- 6 months of pay stubs for you and your spouse for any job you have had within the previous 6 months. (If you do not have the pay stubs, your employer must provide you with a payroll report showing gross income for this period.)
- If you have or run a business, you are required to provide monthly business income statements (profit & loss) for the last 6 months. (You must also provide a list of assets used in the business and the resale value.)
- A Monthly Benefit Statement for any Social Security, Social Security Disability, Food Stamps, Kinship, or Adoption payments received.
- A Monthly Pension Statement
- If you own a rental property, monthly rent received for the previous 6 months.
ALL BILLS – including the following:
- If you own a home, rental property, or timeshare that has a loan, you must provide a current monthly mortgage statement for each loan for each property.
- If you have a monthly car statement, you must provide a current car statement.
- Any credit card bills, medical bills, past due utilities, student loans, back taxes, back rent, payday loans, overdrafts, etc. (a free credit report can be obtained at www.annualcreditreport.com)
TAX RETURNS from the last 2 years – If you cannot find your tax returns please order a tax transcript from the IRS at 1-800-829-8374 and Wisconsin Department of Revenue at (608) 266-2890.
AUTOMOBILE TITLES – For any vehicle that has a lien. (If you are leasing a vehicle, you will not have a title. Please provide a copy of your lease agreement.)
CHILD SUPPORT INFORMATION – The name, address, and telephone number of the person to whom you owe child support.
A PENSION, 401(k), IRA STATEMENT – If you have a loan against your pension, 401(k), or IRS you must provide the balance on that loan.
If you have a home loan on a property located outside of Milwaukee County and are filing a Chapter 7, you must go to the Register of Deeds Office in the County Courthouse where the property is located and obtain a copy of the Recorded Deed and the Recorded Mortgages.
STEP 2: Take Your Pre-Bankruptcy Debt Counseling Class
Pre-Bankruptcy Debt Counseling Class – this is your initial class; a second class is required after your case is filed. Once your case is filed, contact to arrange for the second class. You are required to complete a personal financial management course and sign Form 23 Certification of Financial Management before you can receive a discharge of your debts
Pursuant to 11 U.S.C. § 111, you are required to complete a pre-bankruptcy debt counseling class before you file your bankruptcy case. Our office recommends that this class be taken through:
Cricket Debt Counseling ($36)
Phone and Online
Pioneer Credit Counseling ($35ind/$45cpl)
This class is available 24 hours/day. Simply dial the toll free number provided above and ask to speak to a counselor regarding your pre-bankruptcy debt counseling class. (The class should take approximately 25-30 minutes. The length of the session may vary depending on the complexity of your situation.) At the end of your session, the counselor will advise you of your certificate cost and that payment can be made via check by phone.
Advise the counselor to fax the certificate to your attorney (our office) at 414-543-0786. THIS CERTIFICATE IS GOOD FOR 180 DAYS.
STEP 3: Contact Lombardo Law Office to Arrange to Sign Your Paperwork
* Payment must be made in the form of cash, cashiers check, or money order
* Appointments to sign paperwork will not be scheduled after 3:00pm.